Tuesday, August 21

Trefor chimes in...

So, some of you may have noticed that I haven't written in a while. Eh. I forget, I get tired, the other people on the trip tell of the day and I don't feel obliged to post anything. So here is just some random thoughts so that you can hear my words again for a bit.

Jim is the best dude ever. Jason and I stopped at the In-N-Out Burger for breakfast/lunch. Jason convinced me that it was a true piece of Americana and that it was comparable to Five Guys. It wasn't. But, more importantly to the story, the only things that Jim could have eaten from the menu were french fries and milkshakes. He didn't want either. The place was packed so there were very few tables, we could only find one with two chairs so, while Jason and I ate, Jim stood, looking somewhat uncomfortable, in the corner near the door. He also let me check in to a motel tonight even though it costs more money than a campsite somewhere.

For those of you following the itinerary I wanted to point out that we didn't end up spending the night in the desert.

It was tremendously awesome of Garrick to let us crash at his place in San Francisco for three nights. I was the one who left the pillow. My mind must have been too occupied with Guitar Hero to really take complete stock of everything.

I really enjoyed driving down CA-1 for a while. Very cool views of the Pacific to enjoy. Also cool that the mountains are right there on your other side.

I wouldn't want to spend any more time in Vegas, but I think I had a much better time than the other two so I thought I should mention that. Vegas is like costume jewelry, flashy, but without much substance.

We had a great time hanging out with Jason but Jim and I were noticing how weird the timing was. This past week, while Jason was here, we didn't cover that much ground (about 1200 miles or so compared to the 4500 the previous week). This upcoming week will be much more like the first week in pace and tone. So this past week was almost like a vacation from the roadtrip with Jason visiting. This thought is becoming more incoherent as I write more so I am stopping here in the hopes that you understand.

Carr's ginger lemon cremes are delicious.

Most valuable purchase at the Amoeba music shop was an album by a J-Pop group called the Oranges. It is really entertaining and cost only $2, making it a really high amount of enjoyment per dollar, hence most valuable.

Watching the scenery change from the California coast, to the Mojave, to outside the Hoover Dam, to outside Sedona/Flagstaff has been the most dramatic set of changes so far, in my opinion. Who knew there were thick forests in Arizona?

No comments: