Monday, August 20

I'm a little bit hungry, I'm a little bit rock 'n roll

We dropped Jason off at the airport this morning. It was a sad event.
Before we did that, however, we got food at an In-N-Out Burger (or rather, they did, there wasn't much for me) and picked up some tape so he could fix a busted duffel bag.

After Jason, Trefor and I drove to the Hoover Dam, which, much like Mount Rushmore, is a huge achievement that is incredible and awe inspiring, but not that much fun. We drove up to the parking area on the Nevada side and were asked for seven dollars, so we decided to just drive on, but when we got to the Arizona side parking was free, so we walked it and looked in the gift shops. There were tours but we had neither time, money, nor inspiration to take one.

We drove on and I fell asleep for an hour and a half. When I awoke I was hungry and we were near out of gas, so we jumped off the next time we saw a sign for gas and found ourselves face to face with the famous Road Kill Cafe and its neighbor, the less famous Last Chance Gas Station and Diner and Hardware Store (I don't know its actual name), which is a gas station, convenience store, diner and hardware store. As the Roadkill offered nothing I could eat, we got gas and food and played checkers at the Last Chance, which was delightful. We each got a burrito and a pineapple milkshake, and I also did something completely out of character for me and splurged on a thing in which I was not particularly interested in actually eating, I got an order of Freedom Fries. Just because why would they still call them that?

We also tried to stop along the way at a trading post with the world's largest map of Route 66 painted on the side of it, but it was closed. Now we are in Holbrook, staying at America's Best Value Inn and planning on stopping at Stewart's Petrified Wood in the morning and then moving on to Amarillo tomorrow.

No comments: