Saturday, August 18

I have witnessed the Pacific

Today Jason and I slept late. We didn't leave the house until around one.
This was sad for me because I wanted to meet my friend Brenda for lunch. I will ave to meet up with her later, now.

We headed out to the Exploratorium which is probably the best museum. I have wanted to go there ever since I got the Explorabook (made by the Exploratorium and Klutz) when I was in maybe fourth grade. It's everything I could have hoped for. It's huge and in a gorgeous building that was made for a purpose I have forgotten. Inside it's essentially one giant room filled with a dizzying amount of mind-blowing stuff. It's a science museum made by artists. Everything is hands-on and everything is great. There wasn't a single let-down. Also the shop where all the pieces are made is in the same room, separated by gates and big windows, and you can watch the machinists at work, which is incredible.

Jason and I blazed through everything, getting a feel for the place and then going back and investigating a few things further. Trefor did everything all the way, and only made it about a third of the way through. We were there from about one thirty until they closed at five. When they closed we walked about three blocks to the Wave Organ, an art piece made of tubes that connect the depths of the Bay with some stone benches above it. When you sit near a tube you can hear vaguely pitched huffing and wheezing and splattering emerging from it. It's rather relaxing.

After the Wave Organ we headed back to the Exploratorium for the Tactile Dome, the one exhibit that stays open late, and one that costs an extra three dollars which is provides more than enough entertainment for. Essentially it is a moderately large geodesic dome with tunnels running through it and no light sources. You walk, climb, crawl, and slide your way through it and touch various surfaces and items. It's nice. Although, once I did get separated from Trefor and Jason and it was a little bit terrifying.

We then got dinner with Garrick who took us to a Chinese place which was exceptionally nice of him. Now we are back and sitting within a few feet of each other but not conversing because we're all absorbed in the internet.

It has been a nice day. Tomorrow: the desert.

No comments: